Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Passo Cirone to Monte Orsaro


Mount Orsaro marks the western end of the high Tosco- Emilano Apennines “Crinale” .  

I decided to approach the peak from the Cirone pass to the north hoping to avoid the steep climb up from Lagadei (PR), but thanks to my map being outdated I was in for a surprise.
Passo Cirone, PR

Passo Cirone, PR

Monte Orsaro from Passo Cirone, PR

At Passo Cirone the wind was strong, so I knew that things would get interesting on Monte Orsaro.

The walk starts after a short climb through some woods amongst gentle rolling pastures below Monte Tavola. The views across the “Parco dei Cento Laghi” are quite impressive.
Below Monte Tavola , PR
Below Monte Tavola , PR
Below Monte Tavola , PR

Below Monte Tavola , PR
Below Monte Tavola , PR
Then instead of skirting around Mont Fosco as my map suggested, the footpath makes a direct 200 meter  climb up Monte Fosco, suddenly emerging from the woods at the summit. The view from here is fantastic.
Fortunatly the woods behind the exposed balcony of Monte Fosco  shielded me from the wind .
Monte Orsaro from Monte Fosco, PR
Monte Orsaro from Monte Fosco, PR

Monte Orsaro from Monte Fosco, PR
 Between Monte Fosco and Mont Orsaro the footpath follows an old paved pathway that had been laid with great care. 
Below Monte Orsaro,PR

Below Monte Orsaro,PR
 Now  the next part of the walk was the climb up to the summit of Monte Orsaro.

As I climbed up the wind blowing down from the north became stronger and stronger. At the top one could hardly stand.  My photographs don’t give the impression of the strength of the wind. I decided to abandon the next leg of the walk, the decent down to Bocchetta del Orsaro.

Monte Fosco from Monte Orsaro,PR
Monte Orsaro,PR

Monte Orsaro,PR
Lago Santo and The " Cento Laghi" park from Monte Orsaro,PR

Monte Orsaro,PR

Monte Orsaro,PR
 
Seeing that the weather seemed to promise rain, I returned back to the car on the same 00 footpath that I had arrived on.

No comments:

Post a Comment