Sunday, January 20, 2013

Olympus OM D E-M5 and Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH



After using the Parasonic Lumix GF3 that I bought second hand just before Christmas, I began to wonder if it was really still necessary to carry all that heavy DSLR  gear up and down the Apennines mountains to achieve decent image quality. The GF3 output  is not up to the Nikon D300 that I use at present.

Whilst buying a cheap second hand telephoto for the GF3,  curiosity got the better of me and I tried out the newish Olympus OM D E-M5 with a 16MP sensor. I also saw some photo’s  taken with this camera.  I was instantly  sold on this fantastic little camera. 

Olympus OM D E-M5 and Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH
So all my 6x6 medium format and 35mm manual focus stuff that had been sitting unused was traded in for the Olympus and seeing that I hate slow lenses I also bought the top of the range  Lumix 12 -63 2.8 zoom.

Next job was to try  to see how this cutting edge Micro 4/3 equipment performs. Some free time and a nice sunny day coincided, so I went up to Canossa and Rosenna (RE) to get to grips with all this new gear.

Here are some pictures.
Castello di Canossa, RE
Castello di Canossa, RE
Castello di Canossa, RE
Castello di Canossa, RE

Castello di Canossa, RE

Castello di Canossa, RE

Castello di Canossa, RE

Castello di Canossa, RE

Castello di Canossa, RE
Castello di Canossa, RE

Canossa, RE
Canossa, RE

Castello di Rossena, RE

Castello di Rossena, RE

Castello di Rossena, RE

Castello di Rossena, RE
  This Micro 4/3 stuff  is really good for night time photography.
Reggio Emilia
Reggio Emilia
Reggio Emilia

Reggio Emilia
Reggio Emilia
Reggio Emilia
Susu
So how good is this stuff ? The sharpness and tonal range are a bit better than the D300. The fact that Lumix lenses are not corrected in camera for chromatic aberrations when shot on Olympus cameras means that for some shots (branches against snow)  it was necessary to correct for CA’s and I think some sensor bloom in the raw converter. Nikon do a good job automatically correcting  CA in their lenses by software. Also I love the image stabilizer, which is good with telephoto lenses, eliminating  the need for  a monopod. The best thing of all is that this kit weighs a fraction of a D300 camera with a couple of lenses, which is important when I go walking in the mountains. 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment