Saturday, July 6, 2013

Away from the World



The hike from Prato Spilla ( Parma) to Monte Sillara along the “Crinale”, with the return along the line of lakes that lie below the crest  is one of my favourite walks. I have done this walk many times, but it is always enjoyable.
Monte Bragalata, PR

Passo Giovarello, PR

After  a stiff climb up from the Ski Station, one is rewarded with a splendid view of the Lunigana and the sea at La Spezia.  It was not the clearest of days but the view was nice all the same.

On the way I took a quick detour down to Lake Martini, one of my favourite  places in the Apennines.
I had photographed this lake a month ago when there was still a lot of snow. Now just a small lump of snow at the end remained.


Lago Martini, PR

Towards Monte Sillara, PR

Wild Roses

The footpath follows the narrow crest without particular difficulty all the way  to Monte Sillara, the highest point in the Province of Parma at 1850metres. Here I stopped for lunch. On the way I met a walker coming in the opposite direction who told me that I was the first person he had seen on these mountains in two days of walking. These mountains really are the place to go to get away from the world. There is nothing like the sense of peace one has up here on the “Crinale”.

Laghi Sillara, PR

Monte Sillara, PR

Monte Sillara, PR

Monte Sillara, PR

Monte Sillara, PR

Now it was time to descend down to the path that joins three high level lakes.

Below Monte Sillara is Lago Sillara, two large lakes separated by a narrow gravel ridge. The water in the smaller but deeper lake has always a strong turquoise colour.

Laghi Sillara, PR

Laghi Sillara, PR

Laghi Sillara, PR

Laghi Sillara, PR

I was surprised that the smaller  ponds along the trail had already dried up considering all the bad weather we have had up to now.

Lago Compione was also low, so there was not much to see.
View towards Monte Sillara, PR

Lago Martini, PR

I passed lago Martini again before descending down on the 705 footpath to Prato Spilla.
On the way I came across a small picturesque lake near Capana Biancan that is hardly marked on the map. 

Lago Martini, Pr

Lago Martini, Prn

Lago Martini, Pr
 
Capanna Biancani, Prato Spilla, PR

Capanna Biancani, Prato Spilla, PR

Capanna Biancani, Prato Spilla, PR

I had been lucky. The weather had remained fine almost cloudless for the whole day, a rare occurrence in this part of the Apennines.


No comments:

Post a Comment